Merry Christmas! (and a mini race recap)



And I'm back! I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas, and that you're recovering from your sugar comas nicely. I've eaten so much chocolate in the past 24 hours, it's ridiculous! Who knew salted chocolate could be so weird yet so addicting? Aside from eating lots and reading my new cookbook cover to cover (Alton Brown's Good Eats: The Early Years), I've been slowly unpacking boxes of stuff and sorting through things I didn't even know I had. And that, is the joy of moving.

Christmas is very low key at our house, especially this year, so I thought I'd finally get around to putting up some pictures from last week's 5k.



This was the very first year for the Santa Marathon, and it was a pretty small event. Maybe 300 people all together, including the marathon and 1/2 marathon runners. There was also a 1 mile fun run and a 10k  along with the 5k race.


The run itself went pretty well, minus the entire mile I spent wondering if I was going to have to make a pit stop in the bushes. I walked more than I wanted (or planned) because of that little issue, but I still managed to set a PR so I didn't mind. (Can it be even be a PR if it's your very first time? Hmmm.)

It was COLD and drizzly, but thankfully the course was flat. However, it was not marked well at all, and quite a few people running the marathon and half actually got lost along the way! For the 5k we ran up to the first aide station and turned around, while everyone else kept going in a serious of loops and twisty turns along the back roads. The road was open to traffic, which seemed kind of dangerous, especially with the blind curves along some portions of the course. There may have been signs letting drivers know, but I don't remember seeing any.



Oh, and my time was 33:11, which is pretty slow in the real world, but since I was the only person in my division I won first place! I got a cute Santa medal and a Christmas flavored twinkie. I also have a lazy eyebrow.


Running on a treadmill is a lot easier than running on the road, or at least it feels that way to me, but I definitely didn't feel like I had lost fitness from switching from road running to treadmill running for the month or so before the race.

Next up? 10K! I have a training plan ready to go, but I can't find any races in Washington. There are a few in March, but they're all over an hour away, which doesn't sound too appealing when the start time is 7:30. No matter what, I'll be back in my running shoes tomorrow. Okay, maybe I'll wait until Monday.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails