C25K - Epic fail?

Don't you just love how getting sick can throw everything off?

I am thankful that this is the first time I've gotten sick since May. I'm also thankful that I'm close enough to come home when I don't feel well so my mommy can take care of me. And I'm thankful for Dayquil, even if it does make me beyond loopy.

At the same time, I'm also kind of pissed off I had to get sick during my Thanksgiving break, and right in the middle of my longest running streak ever!

My C25K program has pretty much been thrown out the window. I should be on week 8 by now, and I'm still on the 3rd day of week 6. I haven't run longer than 15 minutes at a time without stopping, or at least I haven't really tried. So I'm kind of freaking out right now. Three weeks to a 5K and I still haven't managed to run 3 miles? Oh boy. If it were a marathon and my longest training run was 22 miles, that'd be okay. But come on, three miles? I feel like I need to kick it in gear.

I went to the gym yesterday, which was my first day out of bed and in the world again. Didn't do any cardio worth mentioning really, just 5 minutes running and some on the bike. I did quite a bit of strength training, which I haven't done in so long. I didn't realize how much I'd missed it! I stopped lifting weights when I started running. Some people might be able to, but I definitely can't weight train my legs and then run on them the next day or even the day after.

Today I tried again, and ran one mile in 11:30. I'm super speedy, I know. Try not to be jealous. That was super fun (I'm actually half serious this time!), and I wanted to keep going but there was one little issue - I couldn't breathe! Yeah, super smart of me to run when I've got chest congestion going on.

So the question is, now what? I'm not sure if I'll try to catch up with the C25K program, or if I'll just break off on my own and do some 20 minutes runs and increase them a little each time. I think I'll probably be running primarily on the treadmill for now, but I'll have to make sure to get outside the week or so before the race. And of course, I've got to remember that this is all brand new and I'm doing it for fun! It's okay if I run slow, as long as I finish before the old ladies with their oxygen tanks!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails