The world of college football.


Photo by sesame_seeds

It's big and scary and I like it.

My dad has never been a football fan. He loves soccer (Go Man U!) and watches it all the time, and we do watch tennis, but that's about it. I don't think I've ever watched the Superbowl (aside from the half-time shows), and at one point I was a Greenbay Packers fan but that was just because my 3rd grade teacher (who I idolized) was too. But other than that? My experience with the all-american sport has been next to nothing.

A few years ago I was in New Orleans for a Mardi Gras ball, and we had tickets to the Saints game. For some reason or other it was a huuuuge game -- maybe something about the championships? All I know is that I made it through the tailgating, which was SO much fun, before I got a fever of 102 and spent the night in our hotel room on the brink of death. Okay, so I just had strep, but still. We were staying downtown and I could see the people going crazy after the win from outside the window and knocking down stoplights. Cool beans.

Going to school in Tennessee for a year did give me more of an inside look at the world of college football. At the beginning of the season everybody was updating their Facebook status with things like "ROLL TIDE!" and "HOOK 'EM HORNS!" and whatever other witty phrases there are about the schools. SEC football scares me. SO. INTENSE. (That said, GEAUX TIGERS!)

For some reason or other, maybe I'm trying to find religion, maybe I'm just wanting to conform, I decided that this year I would live and breath football. Or not. More like I've decided to pick a team and follow it and sit down and watch some games and see what's up with football. If nothing else, I now have an excuse to eat tons of junkfood every Saturday.

Since I'm now a West Coast girl, I decided to pick a team from the PAC-10. (Why am I not rooting for my school's team? We don't have one!) Go Trojans!

I did a little research on football and found the Stiletto Sports guide to football, and that along with some Wiki Hows have made me feel like a pro. Or at the very least, I was able to watch an entire game yesterday AND understand what was going on! Luckily I was the only one home because I definitely got into it. And it was actually pretty exciting.

Their next to games are against Washington and Washington State, so it doesn't look like I'll have too many friends for the first two weeks of school. But hey, at least I've figured out a blitz is!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails