Top 10: Songs for 2009

Warning: LONG post ahead!


I know the year isn't quite over, but it's my party blog and I'll do what I want!

I've been a Last.fm user since 2007, and I absolutely LOVE their site. If you haven't heard of it or used it before, it's basically a program that will keep track of (scrobble) the plays for all of the songs you listen to on iTunes or with your iPhone or iPod (iThink that's a lot of i's).

Now that I've finally gotten over the whole omg someone's going to see that I've been listening to Hilary Duff's CD ALL day long! issue of mine, it's been really fun to look back and see what my listening treads have been. They have charts that show you your top artists or songs for certain periods of time.

Anyway, long story short, these are my top 10 (ish) most played (therefore they must be favorite) tracks of 2009!


Numberrrr 10:
Club Love by 99 ALLiNS

This song is the. bomb. My best friend Austin found this last year and we had it on repeat for the entire spring semester. I love Tswift. I love Usher. Twsift + Usher = Ahhmazing. My only complaint is that the last 30 seconds or so they totally lose the Usher portion of the mashup, but other than that it's perfect.

Number 9:
Two-way tie!
Funny The Way It Is by Dave Matthews Band and Love Game by Lady Gaga!

I'll always remember running around my dorm singing the first few lines of Love Game (Let's have some fun, this beat is sick...) with my roommate late at night. The Dave song is near and dear to my heart too, because it reminds me of one of my best friends who may just be the world's biggest Dave fan.

Number 8:
Starstruck by Lady Gaga


Seeing a trend yet? Such a good running song, even if it does make me dance and therefore trip.

Number 7:
P.Y.T. by Michael Jackson

I was never a huge fan of his music, but I do love this song. He really was an amazing artist.


Number 6:
Let The Dummer Kick by Citizen Cope

Heard it for the first time in a CSI rerun. It reminds me of a boy I dated for much of the school year, and it also reminds me of summer because it was on my favorite mix CD I listened to in the car.

Number 5:
Level by The Raconteurs

One of my favorite songs in the world. It's simple, but I love to sing along to it and I love the guitars. It will always remind me of one of the best weekends I've ever had - Memphis in May! Musicfest was rainy and muddy, and I had a Spanish final the Monday afterwards, but it was completely and totally worth it. They didn't play at Memphis in May, but I remember hearing this song in the car when we were driving around Memphis at night, and it just clicked perfectly in my brain.

Number 4:
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty


I love this version, as well as the John Mayer version too. I think this might actually be my theme song for the past year.

Number 3:
Just Dance - Lady Gaga

Yes, it truly was the Year of the Gaga. This song was our anthem for our freshman year fall semester! My roommate (and best friend at the time) and I went absolutely nuts over this song, and then Lady Gaga started to become super popular right afterwards.

Number 2: 
Explicit content warning, uh-oh!

Pleasure Fucker - Maroon 5

Um, so, this is kind of scandalous. But I like it.


Number 1:
Drumroll please.........

Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) by Lady Gaga! 

Anyone surprised it was Lady Gaga? I had NO clue this was my most played song! Then and again, it was on my epic break-up playlist that I made (and shared with everyone, so I kinda feel like a pro playlist maker now). And we pretty much had The Fame on repeat for the entire year at school.

This list was really surprising! It seems like my most played songs are all from a few playlists, which would make sense. I also have a huge music library (3,000+ songs) which I listen to on shuffle instead of picking a single song to listen to on repeat.

I actually think my most played artists are a lot more representative of my music for the year! Maybe I should have done a post on that instead. Buuuut to save you from running away screaming, I'll just do a mini recap!

Most played artists for 2009:
Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Britney Spears, Jason Mraz, Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, 311, Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, Kings of Leon, Lil' Wayne, Glee Cast, Gym Class Heroes, John Mayer, Umphrey's McGee
Love them all!

One last thing. Don't tell anyone this, but I'm kind of Gaga-ed out now. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Isn't it amazing how certain songs or artists bring you back to a memory or a moment in time? What are your definitive songs for the year?  

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails